Thursday, April 5, 2007

Confetti Eggs ~ Cascarones



Easter is quickly approaching and I'm always worried we won't have enough eggs for the hunt. I've only been saving shells for a few weeks so far, and we are 2 eggs shy of 36. That would give each of my three girls a dozen, but I was hoping for MORE!

If you've never made these, they are a ton of fun. We got kinda burned out on hardboiled eggs, so the last few years we've been making nothing but cascarones (confetti eggs). They are easy to do, we just carefully remove the egg whites and yolk when we cook eggs. The best way I've found is to tap the end with a butter knife, and then break away the shell bit by bit with your nail, until the hole is about the size of a nickel. I usually insert the knife too which breaks the yolk and helps guide the egg out of its shell.

If you are really impatient like me you can dump your eggs into a container for cooking later! I just put the last 5 in this container so I can put together a quiche for Good Friday. Make sure you rinse your shells out, and then you can color them like you would the hardboiled version...that's the FUN part! After they're colored and dry just fill with confetti and seal the ends by gluing a piece of tissue paper over the hole. WAY easy!
We'll probably do them on Saturday, which gives me a few more days to save shells, and we got one of those new kits that does tye die eggs this year. The girls are totally anxious to get started!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would never think to just save the shell. I'll have to remember that for next year. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails